Updated: Dec 17, 2021
There's an UPDATE to this story: https://www.exnews.net/post/british-columbians-holiday-travel-plans-threatened
What you need to know if you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada and you're planning a visit.
Entry to Canada from countries other than the United States has unique rules and regulations that must be followed. Many of these regulations affect Canadians returning home from abroad as well.
Quarantine or isolation
COVID travel restrictions now include new temporary border restrictions to slow the spread of the COVID-19 Omicron variant.
- Fully vaccinated travellers who have been in any country other than Canada and the United States in the 14 days prior to entry to Canada may be selected for arrival testing. They must quarantine in a suitable place until they receive a negative test result. If they’re selected for arrival testing, they may take connecting flights to their place of quarantine.
The Canadian Border Service is in the process of increasing COVID testing to include ALL fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada who have visited countries other than the United States.
Requirements for unvaccinated travellers remain unchanged
Travellers who have been in the following 10 countries within 14 days prior to arrival in Canada will be subject to enhanced pre-entry and arrival testing, screening, and quarantine measures.
Canadian citizens, permanent residents and people with status under the Indian Act are NOT EXEMPT, regardless of their vaccination status or having had a previous history of testing positive for COVID-19.
List of countries requiring enhanced testing and isolation measures:
- South Africa
The Government of Canada has created a simple online questioner to help if youre entering Canada by air or at a land border crossing.
Meet these requirements to see if you are eligible to enter Canada, and do not qualify for the fully vaccinated traveller exemption, or other special exemptions for your situation.
You must Have your ArriveCAN receipt, test results, and quarantine plans ready for assessment by a Border Services Officer
There are exceptions for people who can not be vaccinated. Follow this link for details
Unvaccinated travellers over the age of 12 are not required to quarantine upon entering Canada if they meet the following conditions:
- have a medical contraindication for getting a COVID-19 vaccine, and
comply with the public health measures outlined in the handout provided to them at the border
Mandatory Requirements you must follow even if you are exempt from quarantine
- You must wear a mask at all times when in public spaces
- You must maintain a list of all close contacts for your first 14 days in Canada
- You must monitor yourself for signs and symptoms of COVID-19