Updated: 6 days ago
VERNON NORTH OKANAGAN DETACHMENT 3rd Quarter (July to September) 2023 - 14,497 calls for service YTD
RCMP Superintendent Shawna BAHER, Officer in Charge, produced Vernon crime statistics for the 3rd quarter, July to September 2023.
The report compares this quarter to the same time period last year. Here are some, but not all of the investigations conducted by the Vernon North Okanagan RCMP Detachment.
Calls For Service 5083 -10.7% YTD - 14,497
Criminal Code 1638 -0.4 % YTD - 4705
Property Offences 883 -11.7% YTD - 2642
- July 2nd, frontline officers attended to a suspicious death on Rogers Road (Vernon Rural). The Southeast District Major Crime Unit has conduct of the investigation.
- July 4th, police assisted Vernon Fire Rescue with a structure fire in the 2800 block of 30th Street which was determined to be suspicious. The incident remains under investigation.
- July 9th, frontline officers assisted with a wildfire in Ellison Provincial Park between Predator Ridge and the Outback Subdivision. Members conducted traffic control as campers left the park.
- July 9th, frontline officers responded to an aggravated assault with a weapon on an individual in Polson Park. The victim was transported to hospital with serious injuries.
- July 9th, SCU assumed conduct of an aggravated assault with a weapon on an individual in Polson Park. The victim was transported to hospital with serious injuries and the incident is still under investigation
- July 12th, police observed a suspicious vehicle in the 1500 block of 37th Avenue and when police attempted to conduct a check on the vehicle, the driver rammed the police car and fled the scene. The heavily damaged vehicle came to a stop shortly thereafter and police arrested three occupants.
The driver is charged with flight from police, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and fail to remain at the scene of an accident.
- July 13th, police received a report of a person purposely lighting a fire in front of businesses in the 3600 block of 30th Avenue. Police identified a suspect and arrested a 34-year-old man who is charged with arson.
- July 14th, frontline officers attended to an assault causing bodily harm at a business in the 3200 block of 39th Avenue after the victim was assaulted with a rock and sustained significant injuries. A 14-year-old teen was arrested and placed on numerous conditions pending court.
- July 21st, DVU assisted frontline officers with the statement from a victim of a high-risk domestic violence investigation. The accused remains in custody pending trial.
- July 24th, police were advised a fishing trawler capsized during a storm and the boat captain was missing. After weeks of searching by Vernon Search and Rescue, the RCMP Dive team utilizing specialized sonar equipment recovered the body of the captain.
- July 26th, SCU assisted the Surrey RCMP with a missing children investigation who were later located in another jurisdiction.
- August 1st, a pedestrian operating a motorized mobility scooter was struck by a tractor-trailer at the intersection of 25th Avenue and 34th Street while making a right turn. The driver and several witnesses remained on the scene and were cooperative with police. The pedestrian succumbed to injuries in the hospital. The incident is still under investigation.
- August 2nd, police responded to an assault and theft of a vehicle from the parking lot in the 2200 block of 58th Avenue. The stolen vehicle fled the scene and was later recovered in another jurisdiction. No suspects were identified.
- August 12th, SCU assumed conduct of a suspicious death in Vernon and the investigation continues.
- August 15th, DVU obtained a statement from the victim of a domestic assault with regards to a breach of court-imposed conditions investigation. DVU executed a production order to obtain evidence to support the criminal charges. The accused is currently in custody.
Sex Crimes: During this quarter, the BC Integrated Child Exploitation Unit (BC ICE) advised of 10 reports of possession of child pornography.
- August 18th, police assisted Vernon Fire Rescue with a brush fire in the 4800 block of 32nd Street after the body of a deceased person was located at the scene. Investigation determined an unattended campfire was the source of the fire and there were indications of a possible drug overdose. The BC Coroner Service has conduct of the incident.
- August 22nd, frontline officers responded to a serious motor vehicle incident involving a motorcycle on Hwy 97 north of Vernon. The motorcycle turned left from Hwy 97 in front of a southbound vehicle and was struck. The driver remained on the scene and was cooperative with police. No criminality was suspected. The motorcyclist was transported to hospital and succumbed to injuries.
- August 23rd, police responded to a break-and-enter in progress at a business in the 4600 block of 27th Street. A 36-year-old woman was arrested and charged with numerous offences including resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer.
- August 24th, Sex Crimes assisted with the arrest an individual wanted on outstanding warrants from Alberta. The accused was remanded into custody and transported back to the area of jurisdiction.
- August 30th, frontline officers responded to a motor vehicle incident in the parking lot of 4300 32nd Street after a vehicle collided with three parked unattended vehicles. The driver of the offending vehicle was deceased on scene and the BC Coroners Service assumed conduct of the investigation into the cause of death.
- September 2nd, police attended a report of a theft and fight at a business in the 2400 block of 39th Street. The suspect was tracked by the Police Dog Section and arrested after attempting to flee the scene. A 32-year-old man is charged with robbery and was released from custody pending court.
- September 2nd, Sex Crimes investigated a Sexual Interference and breach of imposed court conditions. The suspect, who was known to police, was arrested and remains in custody. The matter is before the courts.
- September 5th, police investigated a suspicious vehicle pulling a travel trailer in the area of 43rd Avenue and Pleasant Valley Road. Police located the vehicle and learned the trailer was stolen. Police arrested two suspects for possession of stolen property over $5000 and they were held for court.
- September 16th, multiple frontline officers responded to a report of gunshots in the 4000- block of 34th Street. Police determined no injuries were sustained and the incident is under investigation.
- September 16th, SCU assumed conduct of a firearms incident in Vernon. No injuries were reported and the investigation continues.
- September 21st, SCU assumed the conduct of a high-risk missing person investigation where criminality is suspected in the disappearance.
- September 23rd, a police officer on patrol conducted a traffic stop of a vehicle on 39th Avenue. When the driver refused to identify himself, police requested the driver exit the vehicle. Police located weapons and drug trafficking paraphernalia. A 26-year-old man faces numerous criminal charges.
- September 26th, police responded to multiple reports of an undressed man attempting to gain entry to residences in the 4200 block of 29th Street. Police arrested a 23-year-old man who is being charged.
Special Victim Unit (SVU)
Domestic Violence Unit (DVU)
Integrated Case Assessment Team (ICAT)
Tags: VERNON RCMP Report - 14,497 Calls For Service